Friday, May 2, 2008

Ephesians 1:7

"In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace...." NIV

The gospel in its simplest form -- clear and straight forward. Because of my sin and the sins of the world, a sacrifice had to be made to atone for them. A price must always be paid for sin. But Jesus chose to become the sacrificial lamb for us so that through His blood, I am free of the guilt and punishment of my sin.

The price has been paid, and I am forgiven. But this only occurred because of "the riches of God's grace." I did not deserve the sacrifice. I did nothing to earn it. In fact, just the opposite -- I chose through sin to oppose God's laws. I chose the path of death and separation from Him. But He loved me so much, even in my sinful state, to make a way for me. Glory to His name. How can I do anything else but praise and serve Him? His love deserves no less.

Further Thoughts:
1. What is the definition of atonement?
2. What process did God establish in the Old Testament for the atonement of sins? (See Leviticus 16)
3. Compare and contrast the process in Leviticus 16 to Jesus' death.
4. Who is now our high priest and what biblical evidence do we have of that? (See Luke 23:45 and Hebrews 10:19-23)
5. Read or recite John 3:16 then give thanks and worship Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment