Saturday, May 10, 2008

Ephesians 2:1-3

"As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our sinful nature and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature objects of wrath." NIV

*Warning* Today's lesson is rather depressing because I am focusing on who I was before Christ -- following the ways of the world. Not that I never sin now; I do. But before, my desire was certainly not focused on living for Christ and serving him. I served myself, thank you very much. I followed my own desires, expectations, and perceived needs. The philosophy of "look out for #1" was definitely my motto. My comfort and desires were first on my "to do" list. Self reigned and God or others came a distant second. How pathetic a life was that?

I'm separating out these verses from the ones to follow not to glorify the sinful nature or to put myself into depression over the life I used to live. And I really don't care to think too long on God's wrath. I do it to make the next verses/lesson even better. By focusing in on where I've been, I so much more appreciate God's mercy and grace. I'm also much more merciful with others because I was once not walking in the Light. Thank you, Lord, that I am not what I used to be and am growing more and more each day in love and in line with You.

Further Thoughts:

  1. What is the sinful nature? (See Psalm 51:5, Romans 7:5, 25; 8:5-8)
  2. How were we "objects of wrath?" (See Romans 1:18-20, 2:5-11, Isaiah 51:17-20, Ezekiel 20:8, Revelation 6:15-17)
  3. Is there any area of sin in my life that God has made known to me that I have not confessed and repented of?
  4. Spend time thanking God for saving you from the death of your sins and the fury of His wrath.

No comments:

Post a Comment