Friday, June 27, 2008

Matthew 1:18-25 "Listen and Obey"

Read Matthew 1:18-25.

"...She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins...." NIV

I don't know that I have read about the birth of Jesus all that much outside of Christmas. But it's making my June feel cooler. :-)

I can't even imagine what Joseph was going through at the moment the angel appeared. Think about it today.... My husband, Jim, has an angel come to him in whatever form an angel appears and tells him that I am having a baby that will save the world from their sins. AND Jim knows it's not his baby. I'd have to sedate him.....and me.

How did Joseph handle that news? Well, we know he at first considered divorcing Mary. But after the angel arrived, he "did what the angel of the Lord commanded him...." Would I have been that sure? It says Joseph "woke up." Would I have just dismissed it all as a strange dream and proceeded with the divorce? Wouldn't I have looked at Mary with suspicion as her belly grew larger and larger? Joseph somehow knew that the Almighty was leading him and did as he was told -- on faith -- because the evidence before him was totally contrary to reality. His wife was to give birth to the promised Messiah. The Jews had been looking for the one to save their nation for so long. Could this finally be the moment? And why now, why Joseph and Mary? I'd love to read their blogs.

So how many times does God speak to me, and I just dismiss it as a strange dream or crazy thought? Or the idea is so far-fetched it couldn't be what He said to me. What have I missed being a part of because I didn't pay attention or even believe? I so want my heart in tune with the Holy Spirit that if an angel of the Lord appeared in this room right now, I'd fall down on my knees and do whatever He told me without reservation or doubt. Well, I don't expect an angel to appear. But I do know the Holy Spirit will counsel me throughout my life. I must listen and be prepared to obey.

I keep thinking of the times my child's ball would roll into the street, and she'd start to go after it. Because I had trained her to listen to my voice and obey, when I yelled "Stop!" she listened. I so want to know my Father's voice that when He tells me to stop or go, I automatically obey. Some would call that a responding robot with no free will. I call it an obedient servant who desires to do her Master's will.

Lord, thank you for the gift of Your Son that has saved me from my sins. Continue to teach me to listen to You. I don't want to miss out on what you have for me to do .... or be. Your servant is waiting.

Further Thoughts:
  1. Read the prophesies of Christ's coming. (Isaiah 7:14 and 9:6-7)
  2. Samuel learned to be in tune to God's voice. Read the beginning of his story in I Samuel 3 and see how God used his attentiveness for the entire nation of Israel.
  3. What does Jesus say about the Holy Spirit's counsel? (Read John 14:15-31.)
  4. Jesus often went away from the crowds to have quiet time with His Father. Take some time each day to sit quietly before the Father and listen. Begin now; He's waiting for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment