Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Matthew 12:22-29 "The Illogical Argument"

Read Matthew 12:22-29.

"It is only by Beelzebub, the prince of demons, that this fellow drives out demons." NIV
It just absolutely amazes me the illogical arguments that people will make against Christ and Christianity. Here is a prime example. Teachers of the law, God's law, accuse Christ of being a conduit of Satan to drive out demons. Why would Satan ever do that? He put the demon in the man in the first place to do his work. Yet that is the Pharisees' answer for who Jesus must be. And these were the wise men of the day -- the learned? Reminds me of Matthew 11:25 when Jesus says, "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children." Now I'm not against education at all. I'm an educator. But really, some common sense has to come into play sometime.

Jesus answers so beautiful with pure logic. "If Satan drives out Satan, he is divided against himself. How then can his kingdom stand?"

So it just seems that this is the kind of argument that we still face to this day. People want truth yet they embrace relativism exactly like the Pharisees did. The Pharisees didn't want to see Jesus as the Messiah or their own sins and hypocrisy would be exposed and their power ripped away. Maybe that's the same reasoning today. If Jesus is embraced as the truth, then I will be shone as a person that does not follow truth. Therefore, I will create my own truth that I can follow religiously. The problem with creating our own truth is that it's truth for only us. And it can change with our whim. We stand on nothing concrete and so flounder in a world of our own making that shifts like the sand. Who are you really and what do you believe in? I guess it comes down to you only believe in yourself so you are making yourself your own god.

The Almighty does not change with the wind. He is the same yesterday, today and forever. He is a foundation that will never shift or crack because He is not only just, but loving. He is the perfect balance. God is good in all circumstances and His precepts are true. With God, there is no compromise. Full devotion is normal, not the exception. He is a mighty fortress, a strong tower. He will never leave me or forsake me. His decisions are not based on hormones, profit margins, or present circumstances. He is always right and in control. His truth is unwavering, and the path to Him is straight and narrow. He lives in the realm of black and white, no gray. Rigid, probably. Compassionate, absolutely. He embodies pure mercy and grace through His Son, Jesus Christ and desires that none of His children should perish. He is the Caring Shepherd pursuing tirelessly His lost sheep. He is never taken by surprise and never confused. His way is sure.

This is the Truth that I stand on. This is my argument against the shifting views that so many want to take today. Call me, conservative; call me, rigid; even call me, intolerant. I serve a jealous God and must remain true to Him. Any way other than His is the wrong way. Truth is still truth even if no one believes in it.

Further Thoughts:
  1. How does Noah and the flood support my last statement?
  2. Do you struggle with compromise like the Pharisees? Why? In what areas? What in your life needs to change to be back on the straight and narrow road?
  3. Do you face constant opposition because of your faith? View their arguments in light of God's truth and stand on His firm foundation. You are not the one being rejected, He is. And He can stand up to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment