Friday, October 17, 2008

Matthew 18:19-20 "Agreeing Together"

"Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask
for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them." NIV
The encouragement here is to corporate prayer and the power of 2 or more joining together. In this chapter, Jesus had been dealing with disciples wanting first in the kingdom, the sin of leading another astray, that no one should be lost, and confronting a brother's sin. He is showing that in these cases and for that matter, any case, the believers should unite in prayer for power to happen. Coming at the end of the wayward brother, He is not only putting a stamp of approval on the decisions of the many concerning the one, but that He is ready and willing to meet all the needs of the body when they are united in petition to Him. The caveat is that it must all be done by those that "humbles himself like this child." Joined together, humbled before the Lord, surrendered to a faith that can move mountains, we are given by the Lord as we ask.

I don't believe in a name-it, claim-it theology. God is not Santa Claus. But I do believe that if we have a mind set on the things of God and His will, if we are surrendered to His desires and plan, then agreeing with another in prayer brings the power for it to happen. The key is vs 20 - we must come together in His name. We can't be united by desire. We can't be united by desperation, We can't be united by pride. To be united in His name is to submit to the Almighty's authority and desire what He desires to His honor and glory.

And the results must be for the advancement of what He deems worthy. I don't think if I get my family together (which is 2 or more) and we all pray that I get a brand new car, then a new car is going to show up in my driveway. Maybe if I was needing a car, I'd receive a car, but not necessarily brand new. And maybe I don't really need a car. Maybe the bus will do, or I need to walk. Did I pray according to His desire or mine? Will a brand new car honor Him? I'm not saying that God never blesses people with nice things. But our hearts must be surrendered and in line with His heart. A worldly mindset of health, wealth, and prosperity just won't cut it. He wants our hearts in submission to His will.

Further Thoughts:
  1. Look up in a concordance Scriptures on prayer. What is always associated with prayer? (Hint: What must be the attitude of our heart or will?)
  2. Is there something that you know is the Lord's will and you need to ask Him for it? Do you need to join with others to pray and agree together?

No comments:

Post a Comment