Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Matthew 19:13-15 "Like a Child"

Read Matthew 19:13-15.

"Let the little children come...." NIV

How often do we devalue the importance of the children in the kingdom of God. They are seen as immature and ignorant of God's ways when in fact they may know the best. As we become older, we develop an arrogance that knowledge and time tend to incubate. And I think that is something we all fight until we die.

I have realized since I started this blog and have been so regularly in the Word, (I also lead a Bible study and write my daughter's Bible curriculum.) that I feel like I know less and less and that my actions and attitudes are simply decrepit. When you sit at the feet of the Almighty day after day, you can't help but see your inadequacies. The difference between a child realizing that and an adult is that a child is okay with there situation. Simple is fine; needy is a regular part of life; dependence is natural. Oh, to be like a child again.

Lord, give me the simple trust and dependence of a child.

Further Thoughts:
  1. What children in the Old Testament displayed simple trust in the Almighty? How did God use them?
  2. Spend some time sitting and observing a child. What about them would make Jesus say that "the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these?"
  3. Ask the Lord to show you how He wants you to be more like a child and ways that you need to stop being like a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment