Thursday, January 29, 2009

1 Peter 1:22-2:3 "Unselfish Love"

Read 1 Peter 1:22-2:3.

"...have sincere love for your brothers, love one another deeply, from the heart." NIV
The last half a year or so I have been praying that God would help me love others and Him more and myself less. He's given me many opportunities to live that out, but it begins not so much with actions, but with an attitude of the heart that then leads to actions. That's exactly what this passage is talking about.

Getting rid of self is 2:1. Think about that list -- malice..., deceit...., hypocrisy..., envy..., slander of every kind. All of these sins center in selfishness, power over another, my way. None of these actions center on others and their needs. None! As the child of the Almighty, I am called into relationship first with Him, and secondly in relationship with others. Perfect relationship looks to meet another's needs before my own and that only happens with a pure love. Pure love can only come from the One who is pure love -- our Heavenly Father. As I surrender my own selfish desires and perspectives to embrace Him and His love, that love can flow through me to others. That is all that matters in this life -- living out the love of Christ so others see Him through me.

My heart has been breaking more and more for other people. I don't know what God is doing in me, but I do know I can't keep doing life as I have been. Our time here is just a speck and a lot is still to be done. The grass and flowers are going to die, but God's plan will endure.

Lord, continue to break my heart for others. Use me to be a light in the darkness. Direct my path daily and shine through me, for I am nothing but Yours.

Further Thoughts:
  1. How am I actively surrendering my will to God every day?
  2. Do I love with an unselfish love? Am I allowing God to love through me? If not, why?
  3. Spend an entire day consciously moment by moment paying attention to everything you do -- is it a selfish attitude/action or are you looking out for others first?

No comments:

Post a Comment