Wednesday, January 7, 2009

James 2:14-26 "Living Out Faith"

Read James 2:14-26.

"As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead." NIV
This begs the question, Am I living out my faith? I can study the Word all I want and believe that everything in the Word is true, but if my life does not reflect the Word and Jesus Christ, what good is it? If I am not applying my beliefs to how I live my life, what's the use?

So how do we know how to apply our faith? Jesus and the other mentors of the Bible are a great place to start. They show us how to live out our faith -- loving people with the love of Christ. Emulating their choices and decisions will teach us how to respond in similar situations. The steps to full devotion can be learned from those who came before us.

Then we have the Holy Spirit. When in doubt, whisper a prayer and ask the Lord what you should do. He never leaves us dangling by a thread. He will guide our steps if we only ask and listen. But the steps of faith in asking and listening are still worthless if we do not act on His answer.

We were not placed on this earth to sit back and become fat with knowledge and belief. We must put feet to our faith and reach out to a world who needs to hear about Jesus and see Him in action.

Further Thoughts:
  1. List people in the Bible. Beside each name, write out how they lived out their faith.
  2. What stops you from living out your faith -- fear, laziness, ignorance? How are you going to combat this lie of the enemy that is paralyzing you in your walk with the Lord?
  3. Ask the Lord to show you what deeds He wants you to do in His name? How will you glorify Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment