Friday, January 16, 2009

James 5:13-18 "Prayer Faith"

Read James 5:7-12.

"The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective." NIV

James gives the answer to about anything we can face -- trouble, happiness, sickness, sin. That one word is pray. One of the simplest acts man can do. It can be filled with words or a simple, "Help" or "Thank you" or "My Lord" will be enough. We underestimate the power those unembellished utterances hold. With a word a mountain will be moved or with a word we are ushered into the presence of the Almighty.

In our visual, instant-gratification world we live in, prayer can seem so inactive and useless. But we must never forget the power. When I was with my mother in Fargo the last ten days of her life, I had people from all over the country praying for me. I didn't really know this until I came back home and saw all the emails, facebook messages, and cards. But I'll tell you -- I felt those prayers. I have never been so buoyed by prayer in my life. There is truly power in those simple spoken words of faith, petition, and praise. And until we truly grasp the power of prayer, we will walk ineffectually through the motions of Christianity. That communion with the Lord is the foundation of our relationship -- speaking, but mostly listening. And when we spend that time with Him and learn who He is, and surrender every moment to Him, our prayers will mirror the character and will of God. Then things will happen that will blow our minds. It may not be today, or tomorrow, but it will happen. We serve a faithful Master and no one is His equal. Pray to Him, believing.

Further Thoughts:
  1. Look through the Old Testament. Who knew how to pray? How do you know? What evidence did they show of being an effectual pray-er?
  2. Do you pray but struggle with the faith to believe your prayers will be answered? If so, are you surrendered to whatever God has for you?
  3. Spend time every day talking with the Lord. His Word and Spirit speak to you. Are you listening?

1 comment:

  1. Great thoughts today, Jer! Taking some time this afternoon to really seek God's race on the retreat. Please continue to lift me up. I need 4 messages in 6 days.
    lj

    ReplyDelete