Wednesday, February 18, 2009

1 Peter 5:5-10 "The To Be List"

Read 1 Peter 5:5-10.

"And the God of all grace... will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast." NIV

Peter gives a whole grocery list of items to live by and come out strong in the Christian walk. 

Be submissive to elders: We have lost the value of the wisdom of our elders. The Lord says to submit to that wisdom. Let them lead as He has commissioned them to lead. Follow their direction and we will do better than wandering in our own ignorance.

Clothe ourselves with humility toward one another: Haughtiness and pride will not get us anywhere in the kingdom. If we are to work together as a community in the love of Jesus Christ, then humility must reign. If we humble ourselves before our Lord and before each other, God will recognize us in due time. Our society works so much for accomplishment recognition that we think we have to do that in the church as well. But if we are working for an audience of One, we don't need to look for the accolades of the masses, but seek the approval of the Master alone.

Cast all your anxiety on him: Oh, how I wish more people would get this one. There is absolutely nothing to worry about. Worrying serves no purpose but to waste time and cause high blood pressure and heart attacks. The Lord has everything under control and if we just diligently take concentrated time with Him, our perspective on life, God, our place in this world because strangely clear and the burdens and concerns simply lift off of our shoulders. He cares for me, so why would He not have my life under control.

Be self-controlled and alert: The enemy is like a crouching tiger just waiting for the right opportunity to pounce. His temptations come in not one at a time like a bullet, but more with the tenacity of a machine gun. I must remain alert and on my toes ready to duck from the barrage. And if I ever think I am suffering for my beliefs, I just have to consider my brothers and sisters in China and know my life is easy.

My strength, firmness and steadfastness is firmly rooted in Jesus Christ. Circumstances of life may try to distract me, but my hope never wavers from His amazing love and grace. I will continue to rely on Him and Him alone to hold me up as I humble myself before His throne.

Further Thoughts:
  1. Humility is not a popular thought. Everyone is taught to look out for number one. What ways can you show humility in your family, work, neighborhood and church this week? 
  2. Are you a worrier? Why? What have you gained by worrying? Ask the Lord to help you to surrender control and trust in Him alone. It's a daily burden to lay down.
  3. Look up other Scripture on these different attributes of living a surrendered Christian life.
  4. Is this list related more with what to do or what to be? Explain.
  5. How do you remain alert to the enemy's temptations? How can you be proactive against him?

1 comment: