Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Exodus 6:7 "Misconceptions About God"

I will take you as my own people, and I will be your God. Then you will know that I am the Lord your God…. ~Exodus 6:7

Man’s thoughts about God can bounce around like changing images on mirrors in a fun house. Whatever our mood or circumstances, that’s how we filter our view of God. But it’s simply not the truth. God is not Santa Claus who brings you good things when you are good and coal when you are bad. He’s also not human with changing emotions and opinions. He is the same yesterday, today and forever. His love is always unconditional and His judgment is always just.


Over 70 times in the Old Testament God says in some form, “I am the Lord your God.” Unlike the mythical gods, God is not capricious, moody, unscrupulous or selfish – characteristics that mirror human, fallible behavior. Numbers 23:19 says, “God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?” He is the one and only God of the universe, and He is our Lord. He will never let the good go unrewarded or the sinful unpunished. He is always good, always loving, always just. He is God.


Further Thoughts:

  1. What misconceptions about God can you tend to fall into believing?
  2. Why do you have misconceptions about God? What influences have led you there?
  3. How do you retain truth about who God is?
  4. What changes in your daily life need to happen to keep a right perspective on God?

Father, guard my heart in Truth. Help me to always see You as You really are, not as my emotions or circumstances may want to lead me to believe. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment