Thursday, August 19, 2010

Psalm 119:11 His Word Protects Us

I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. ~Psalm 119:11
The Royal Canadian Mounted Police have the responsibility to uncover and retrieve counterfeit money. But in their training the Royal Canadian do not study counterfeit bills. They only study the real thing. The reasoning is that if they know what the genuine product looks like in every detail, they will instantly recognize a currency that doesn’t belong.

The Scripture hidden in our heart will protect us by providing us with the genuine truth to measure everything else against. If I know God’s truths, I will also know when I am being tempted to sin. If I’ve learned His precepts, then I will recognize false teachings that may try to lure me away from Him. The enemy is the father of lies, and he will try every means possible to entice us to succumb to the destruction of his lies. But with The Truth firmly planted in our minds and hearts, we have a weapon that will slice any deception into shreds. Use your “sword of the Spirit” to fight against the powers that will cause your defeat. The Word is in your hand.

Further Thoughts:
  1. Why does Scriptural memorization need to be an integral part of our spiritual habits?
  2. Should all spiritual teachings be weighed against the Scriptures? Why or why not?
  3. What must be coupled with memorization to keep us from sinning? (HINT: The Pharisees knew the Scriptures.) Explain.
  4. What is your active plan to make the Word of God an integral part of your life?
Father, I choose to keep Your Word very close to my heart. Protect me by Your sword. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment