Tuesday, March 8, 2011

I Cor. 13:1-2 Nothing I say, know, believe, or accomplish will matter.

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. ~1 Corinthians 13:1-2

Every man and woman desires to live his or her life to mean something. They are looking for a life of significance – one that makes a difference. But too often what they end up actually pursuing is a life of success. There’s a big difference between the two. We can be successful in our educational endeavors or our careers by man’s standards. We may have thoughts that stump the greatest minds. You may have several degrees or make a lot of money. You may have hundreds of people who answer to you and be judged successful by the world. But even with all that, you still may not be living a life of significance.

How we love is how we will determine the mark we will make on our world – at least any mark that matters. God says that we can try and try to make a difference, but the only difference He cares about is through how we love. Love is where life truly and significantly happens.

Further Thoughts:

  1. In what ways was Christ’s life unsuccessful but was significant?
  2. What are you pursuing – success or significance? How is your life living that out?
  3. How do you love God and others? Are you building significance into your life? If no, what needs to change?
  4. Find other passages of Scripture that show us that significance is measured by love.

Lord, I want my life to make a difference in the way You would want. Teach me to love for significance. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment