Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Matthew 11:28-30 Perspective

Matthew 11:28-30 The Message (MSG)

28-30 “Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.”

You may not recognize this passage in The Message, but it is where Jesus says to join Him because His burden is light.

I love how this version stated Jesus' invitation to join Him. To get His perspective. To walk in His directives, not in my own. To learn from Him.

I especially love the line, "Learn the unforced rhythms of grace."

Being a follower of Jesus does not have to be labor intensive. But it must be intentional. Living as Christ lived is not easy, but it is freeing. Too often I can get caught in the "immediate." What do I have to do today for work? Who needs me to be where? What spinning plate have I let fall? And I forget to maintain perspective. If I would just look at what is happening in the world around me - near and far - I would begin to see my little "to do" list in a different light.

God calls me to work - but my job is not my most important "occupation." God calls me to be available to others. But my most important relationship is with Him. God calls me to diligence. But are all my plates God-appointed?

Jesus is calling me to walk alongside of Him and only Him in everything I do. I want to walk with Him and learn the unforced rhythms of grace. 

Father, teach me to remain focused on You and not the immediate. To grasp the power of Your Presence and not the pull of my calendar. Train me in the way of the unforced rhythms of grace so I may be more like you. So be it.

Further Thoughts:
  1. In what ways have you lost perspective? How do you regain it?
  2. How do you maintain "life" and keep your focus on Jesus?
  3. What does it truly mean to live in the unforced rhythms of grace? 

 

1 comment: