NIVThe power of God counting someone as righteous! As David is quoted as saying in verse 8, "Blessed is the man whose sin the Lord will never count against him." That is righteousness. Our sin is gone as far as the east is from the west, and God remembers it against us no more. What amazing mercy and grace is demonstrated in counting someone as righteous.
Abraham's righteousness even came before the act of circumcision. And this was way before he was willing to sacrifice his son on an altar. Abraham's "belief" was in God's promise that he would be the father of many nations even though he was old and childless. He simply trusted in the power of the Almighty to do as He said He would do.
I love what it says about Abraham in verse 20:
It begs the question, am I fully persuaded? And I don't mean in whether God has the power or not. I believe He does. Nor if He will keep His promises. I believe He will. To do otherwise would go against His nature, and He doesn't do that.
But to truly be fully persuaded would mean to live each day completely dedicated to Him and His mission. Am I doing that? Am I living in love for others each day? Am I devoted to study of the Word and prayer? Am I helping the poor, the widows, and the orphans? Do I truly care that people are going to hell? These are the thoughts that make me question if I am living FULLY PERSUADED. I suppose I don't waver in believing in who God is. I waver in believing in who I am in the full scheme of things. Do you?
I know the enemy works very hard to confuse us and to discourage us in our walk as believers in God. Doubt is one of his favorite tools of deception. So I suppose when I am feeling this way, I say:
1. I believe I am loved by God.
2. I believe I am made righteous by belief in His Son's sacrifice.
3. I am fully persuaded that He is able to do all He says He will do.
4. I am His child, a co-heir with Christ, and will walk in His love and by the power of His Holy Spirit.
5. I will do whatever He calls me to do.
This is my creed, and I choose to walk in it today.
Father, thank you for righteousness and that you loved us so much as to make that path even possible. Deliver me from the enemy's lies, and guide me to live out Your love each and every day - living fully persuaded. So be it.
- What do you do to combat the feelings of not be fully persuaded?
- Read Hebrews 11 about all those who demonstrated faith in amazing ways.
- What is challenging your faith? Write your creed and speak it out loud.