Thursday, November 19, 2015

Romans 5:6-8 We Didn't Deserve It

6 You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly.7 Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous man, though for a good man someone might possibly dare to die. 8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:6-8 NIV

We recently celebrated Veteran's Day. What a wonderful time to recognize all the men and women who have served our country past and present. These people left home, risked their lives, multitudes giving their life so we could live free and safe here in the United States. Sometimes that thought simply overwhelms me to stillness. I am so grateful for what they have done and are still doing.

But I didn't deserve their sacrifice.

They don't know me. They don't know if I am a good person who should have a safe place to live free. For all they know they sacrificed for the worst human being in the history of mankind. 

That's what Jesus did. He sacrificed his life even though I nor anyone else deserve it. In fact, we don't deserve it because we had turned away from our God and followed our own ways. But He did it anyway. 

And His sacrifice wasn't for safety or freedom for my body. It was for eternal freedom from condemnation and the promise of eternity with my Lord. 

If the sacrifice of warriors moves me to stillness, I am paralyzed by the realization of my Lord's sacrifice for my very soul.

Father, the sacrifice of your Son is nothing that should have been done for me. Forgive me for taking that gift for granted. Help me to share His sacrifice with others so they too can live in the true freedom of the soul. So be it.

Further Thoughts:
  1. How has your life been transformed by Christ's sacrifice for you? Reflect on how far you've come from that undeserving sinner.
  2. Read John 3:16 slowly and think about the full scope of its meaning.
  3. What hope do you have now and for the future because you made that decision to follow Christ?



No comments:

Post a Comment