Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Ephesians 2:10

"For we are God's workmanship created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." NIV


I love what the NIV study notes say about the word, workmanship. "The Greek for this word sometimes has the connotation of a 'work of art.'" We are God's work of art. Isn't that amazing? I love sculpture, pottery, ornate boxes -- any three dimensional art. It flows and moves; you can look at it from any angle to see something new and fresh. And when the light hits it, it takes on a completely new form and beauty. I just marvel at the person who can take a lump of clay or a rough and jagged piece of rock or wood and make it come alive and beautiful, sometimes even useful.

And that is what God does with each one of us. He uses His imagination (which is vast) and His creativity (obviously one of His traits) and forms these lumps of clay into beautiful pieces of art to shine for His glory and honor. I'm continually asking Him to mold me a little more. Make me into more of what He would have me to be. Tweak me here, twist me there. Lord, stretch me into a vessel of Your love and beauty. Prepare me to do the work You have called me to do. I am Your work of art.

Further Thoughts:

  1. What is the difference between the "works" of verse 9 and the "good work" in verse 10?
  2. How does "prepared in advance for us to do" relate back to the theme of Chapter 1?
  3. Do you know what good works God has prepared specifically for you to do? What are they? Do they ever change? How do we know?
  4. List some general ongoing works God would have you do (i.e. help the widows and orphans) and then list some more specific work that God has called you to do. Ask Him to continue to mold you into the person He needs you to be to accomplish these tasks.

No comments:

Post a Comment