Monday, May 19, 2008

Ephesians 3:8

"Although I am the least of all God's people, this grace was given me: to preach to the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ...." NIV


How often do you feel inadequate to accomplish what God has called you to do? Maybe you came from the wrong family; you don't have the education you need; you have a limited talents list. I feel this way all the time -- so unprepared, uneducated, completely out of my comfort zone. It's reassuring to know that Paul felt this way, too. Of course, his feelings of being "the least" came from his past life of persecuting the Christians. Why would God reveal His mysteries to him and use him now to spread the gospel? But look how God used Paul in such an amazing way.

You know, feeling inadequate is exactly where God wants us to be. Oh, I'm not saying we shouldn't study and practice to become better at what God has called us to do. He tells us to give our very best in all we do because it is for His honor and glory. BUT, He wants us completely dependent on Him. Sometimes, we want to rely on our own knowledge and talent and forget about God. What do I need Him for? I can do this on my own. (Hello....who gave you the talents?)

But when we rely on Him, we not only humble ourselves and acknowledge His power, but we are serving Him for His glory, not our own. That's where He wants us to be -- in need of Him and only Him. Lord, I've been blessed with education and talents, but I need You more today than ever before to do what you call me to do. I want to walk in Your strength and direction. Holy Spirit, keep me alert to Your detours in my life. Use me up for Your glory and honor. I give You all the praise.

Further Thoughts:

  1. Who in the Old Testament were "of the least" that God used in mighty ways?
  2. How does Jesus' life here on earth demonstrate "the least?"
  3. Reflect on where you've come from -- family, education, experience, talents.
  4. Ask the Lord daily to use you up and teach you how to completely rely on Him to accomplish His tasks for your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment