Friday, June 13, 2008

Ephesians 6:10-13 "Semper Fidelis"

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand." NIV

There is something about reading this passage that gets my blood pumping. Maybe I'm a closet soldier ready to don a gun and race to the battlefield. Maybe it's the words like "devil's schemes" and "spiritual forces" that remind me I'm part of something so much bigger than me that lies outside of the visual world. Whatever it is, I love this passage. When I am feeling attacked or just facing a daunting situation, I read this to remind me I am a soldier of Jesus Christ. Not only am I empowered by a mighty God, but I am part of an army of believers. I do not stand alone. And when I feel opposed, it's not man that is my enemy, but the evil powers at work in the world. I serve One who is more powerful. (I read the end of the book.;-) And nothing that I face today can do me in. I am a child of the Almighty and a proud member of the Lord's Army. Hooya!

Further Thoughts:
  1. Using a concordance, look up the word "power." Read the passages listed and reflect on God's power. Thank Him that this same power you are reading about resides in you and battles on your behalf.
  2. Walk tall today; you have an army on your side.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jerolyn,

    In the hectic life Jenn-Jen and I are living right now, I appreciate being able to take a moment to get to your blog. Thank you for leading me to your post on Ephesians 6:10-13. I have referenced it a little while ago myself and find it comforting, especially when I am sitting here at 3:40 AM alone with the girls. The physical exhaustion, coupled with mental weariness and the darkness of night makes for an ideal situation where this scripture becomes so meaningful. It is during the lonliness of the night when I often feel weakest from a spiritual perspective and there are moments when it seems Satan is pounding right outside. Thank God for giving us protection and weapons to fight the enemy.

    - Gordon

    ReplyDelete