Monday, June 16, 2008

Ephesians 6:14b "Guard Your Heart"

"...with the breastplate of righteousness in place...." NIV
After the belt of truth comes the breastplate of righteousness. The Greek word for righteousness is dikaiosune. It means the "state of him who is as he ought to be, ...the condition acceptable to God." So this is why righteousness is in our breastplate -- to cover our heart. It's the center of our desires and our values. It governs where we place our trust and loyalties. And we want to guard our heart to remain in a state that is pleasing to God. Interestingly, it's the state where we began - before the fall. A righteous person is living as God designed us to be. When He cleansed me from my sin at conversion, He made me again the person He planned for me to be. And if I will put on my armor, the breastplate will protect that purified condition. Again, however, I must choose daily to put on that breastplate. I must choose to stay away from the old self and protect the new.

Lord, thank You that you not only cleanse my heart from my sin and separation from You, but You provide the protection to guard my heart. I choose, today, to put on my breastplate and live in righteousness.

Further Thoughts:
  1. God called Noah a righteous man. Reread his story and be reminded of what God can do with a person fully devoted to Him. Genesis 6:5-9:17.
  2. Look at what Jesus had to say about righteousness in Matthew.
  3. Are we a slave to sin or to righteousness? Read Romans 6, then Romans 8
  4. Have you let the breastplate slip and tainted the righteousness that is yours through salvation? If so, confess it, stop doing it, and choose to guard your heart for God.

No comments:

Post a Comment