Friday, July 18, 2008

Matthew 5:11 "Blessed" Part 9

“Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is you reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.” NIV

No one likes to be talked about in a bad way. We all hate to be the raw end of insults or lies. But I definitely don’t jump at the opportunity to rejoice and be glad when treated like that. In fact, my first instinct is to defend or retaliate. I want to stand up for myself; give argument for the truth. But Jesus says that when we suffer in this way, we can rise above the insults and accusations. We can with joy remember that no one can touch us here; we have a reward in eternity with our Lord that no one can take away on this earth. Greater men and women than I have gone before and suffered so much more. So let them throw their sticks and stones and degrading words. I stand on the living Truth who has promised me a whole lot more than man’s approval. In that I can rejoice and be glad.

Further Thoughts:

  1. Is justice always our right on this earth? (Read Luke 6:27-36, Romans 12:17-21, Psalm 63:9-11)
  2. Do you struggle with people speaking against you because of your faith? You’re in good company. Read in the Old Testament what some of the prophets had to go through for their faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment