Thursday, August 14, 2008

Matthew 8:14-17 "With a Word"

Read Matthew 8:14-17.

"When evening came, many who were demon-possessed were brought to him, and he drove out the spirits with a word and healed all the sick." NIV
I am always amazed at the power of the spoken word. It can inspire, praise, destroy, instruct, devastate, or encourage. Words can leave the mouth quickly, but can never return. They begin when we are young and continue till we speak our final words with our last breath. Words can build relationships or divide them forever.

And then there is the power of the words of Christ. They surpass all power that we could ever manufacture with our words. The awesome point, however, is that with Christ living in us, we are given that same power. He even said that we will do greater things than He has done. How is that? It sure doesn't seem like we do. Maybe it's because we are not deliberate with our words. Maybe it's because we are constantly fighting that human nature that wants to use words to our own advantage. Either way, if we submit to the Holy Spirit's guidance, wouldn't our words have a power beyond anything we have ever experienced?

I know I've experienced moments like that -- times where I knew that the Lord was giving me the words to say, and they were having a powerful impact either influencing someone else's life or through healing. Those are amazing experiences and how I would love for them to happen more often. Of course, I'm the only one standing in the way. Once again, we come to surrender, humility, and listening. Humbling myself moment by moment in His presence, opening my "ears" to the Lord's leading and using my words for His glory. Then His power will flow through me for His honor. Lord, let the healing words flow.

Further Thoughts:
  1. If Jesus is considered the Word, then doesn't His dwelling in my life change my words? If not, why? (See John 1:1)
  2. God gave Moses words to speak that caused amazing things. What were they? What was the irony of Moses using words? If you are feeling that your words are very inadequate, Moses will show you how God can use anyone for His work.
  3. Why is humility so important in using words for God's ministry? Read Mark 9:14-29. Why couldn't the disciples cast out the demon?
  4. Are your words filled with love, thankfulness, and encouragement, or grumbling and hatefulness? It's a heart issue. (Read Philippians 2:1-16.) Surrender.
  5. What is the relationship between thanksgiving and the heart of words we choose to use each day? Support with Scripture.

No comments:

Post a Comment