Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Matthew 26:47-56 "Angels at Your Back"

Read Matthew 26:47-56.

"Do you think I cannot call on my Father, and he will at once put at my disposal more than twelve legions of angels?" NIV
A legion is 3000-6000 men. So twelve legions would be about 36,000 to 72,000 angels. Jesus could have opened the heavens and called down an army to rescue him from the crowd. He also had every right. He had been betrayed by a friend. Not only was he unjustly being arrested, but a friend had turned against him. If justice was to be served, the debate was on Jesus' side. But that was not the Father's will, and Jesus had the strength to stand because He had been with His Father in prayer through the night. This shows us the lengths we must go to for the Father's will to be done. His desires need to be my desires; His plans my plans. I cannot allow anything to stand in the way even if it causes me some pain.

On the other side of that, if Jesus wants to rescue, encourage or send me a message, He has at least 72000 angels to do it. The same Jesus that could call on the hosts of heaven to help Him in the garden can send the angels to minister to me today. He's always got my back. There is no situation I can get myself into where there isn't an army at my disposal. Psalm 91:11-12 says, "For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone." That power is promised to us as God's children. What tremendous comfort those words hold. In every situation I face, I can stand. I've got an army at my back led by the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. Boy, who needs to ever worry?

Further Thoughts:
  1. Do a study of angels and see what their jobs are. There are many theories about angels floating around out there. Be sure what you research has Scriptural support.
  2. What are you facing right now that could possibly overwhelm you? Surrender it to the Lord. He is not only omnipotent, but has a whole army to work for him. That's bigger than any problem you can throw at Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment