Friday, November 21, 2008

Matthew 27:1-10 "Consistency"

Read Matthew 27:1-10.

"Early in the morning, all the chief priests and the elders of the people came to the decision to put Jesus to death....." "....It is against the law to put this (30 coins) into the treasury, since it is blood money." NIV
Woe to the blind and deceived. The chief priests and elders of the Jewish people, their spiritual (and political) leaders, decided to put Jesus to death. That is just so hard for me to fathom. But it was another time and place than my reality. I wonder how many others they had put to death for blasphemy? But here, they are ready to have an innocent man executed. So since their right to capital punishment had been taken away by the Romans, they turn Jesus over to Pilate as a traitor to be put to death. The overwhelming sadness of that decision paralyzes me. What kind of hubris and hate could cause men to do this? And these are the spiritual leaders of God's chosen people.

Now look just five verses later, after Judas, out of an act of remorse, throws the thirty pieces of silver into the temple, the chief priests state that they can't take blood money. Are you kidding me? They can send an innocent man to his death, but they can't use the money they paid to have him brought in for the temple. It's amazing how fast they collectively grew a moral and ethical conscience. Of course, it's a relative conscience that serves their own purposes and desires. But a conscience none the less.

How often do we justify our actions by following up with something good and right? And it all makes sense to the person doing it while everyone around them is left scratching their head. The enemy loves to have us in this position - situational ethics. "I believe what I need to believe to serve my purpose at this moment. And if that belief changes later, so be it. That's what I need it to be at that moment." Why can't truth be truth and relativity thrown out with last week's garbage. Life would be so much simpler if everyone was on the same page, living for the same purpose. I guess that's called heaven. And I'll hang onto that hope.

In the meantime, we must live with inconsistencies and poor judgements rampant around us. Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm not always consistent. Nobody is. But I will keep striving to line up with Truth and stay on that straight and narrow way until I no longer walk this earth.

Holy Spirit, guide me in Truth to remain true.

Further Thoughts:
  1. Do you make your decisions based on Truth or what works for you? Think about this. Consistency is needed in all areas of our lives, not just in the big decisions. Walking a life of Truth is not for Sunday only. It's a day to day process that requires a consistent checking of the compass.
  2. Compare and contrast the life of Saul and the life of David. What was different about their consistency? Notice what each does when they do fail to stay on track. What are their different responses to others and to God?

No comments:

Post a Comment