Wednesday, January 14, 2009

James 4:13-17 "God's Plans"

Read James 4:13-17.

"Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins." NIV

The majority of this passage seems to mostly talk about not always looking to the future, but to live life guided by the Lord. Planning is not a bad thing; goals can help motivate. But too often we can be so arrogant as to set so many goals that we don't seek the Lord's will for our life. We can just keep plugging forward in our own bubble without acknowledging that He may want to change our direction or we miss God-appointments along the way. God is saying here that these are sin -- evil.

I've never been accused of making too many future plans. I'm doing well if I know what I am doing tomorrow. So I could use some work in both living fully in the present and doing the things in the future God has told me to do. Definitely, verse 17 applies to me. It's so easy to wake up in the morning and think, "So what do I need to do today?" and just get going on it. But if I would stop and listen to what God wants me to do, I may not only have my plans for today, He may also give me future plans that will be on-going.

I want to be in the place and time that God wants me to be, doing what He wants me to do. And I never want to miss the spur-of-the-moment opportunities He puts in my path. If He needs me to do some future planning, I pray He shows me what to do.

Lord, I'm here to serve for Your pleasure. Guide my path today, tomorrow, and forever.

Further Thoughts:

  1. Joseph was a man who flowed with where God allowed him to be. He took his location and opportunities as they came and followed God in leading His every move.
  2. Do you make too many future plans without consulting the Lord? Are you just living your dreams, or are you living God's dreams?

No comments:

Post a Comment