Friday, February 20, 2009

1 Peter 5:12-14 "Standing Fast"

Read 1 Peter 5:12-14.
"... true grace of God. Stand fast in it." NIV

That phrase, "Stand fast in it" really caught my attention. What does it mean to "stand fast" in something?

Here are some definitions of "standing fast":
  • to make firm, fix, establish
  • to uphold or sustain the authority or force of anything
  • to set or place in a balance
  • to stand immovable, stand firm
  • stand unharmed, to stand ready or prepared
  • to be of a steadfast mind
  • of quality, one who does not hesitate, does not waver

The grace of God is a gift that we must hold tightly to -- firmly, fixed, established -- never wavering and without hesitation. We must always be ready to defend God's grace and His authority in our life. His grace provides balance in a chaotic world. By His grace I cannot be moved or harmed, and I am prepared and ready to face whatever the enemy throws at me. By His grace I have a mind that is firm in belief, determination, loyalty, and faithfulness. All because of His true grace, I am sustained.

I can owe nothing to my own abilities or anyone else's. He is my hope and rock forever and forever. Amen.

Further Thoughts:
  1. Do a word study of "grace."
  2. Have you been wavering in your stand on grace? Why? Are you spending time with the Grace-giver? You can't spend time with Him -- good concentrated time -- and not be convinced of His grace.
  3. Do you need to extend His grace to someone else?

No comments:

Post a Comment