Tuesday, February 24, 2009

2 Peter 1:12-21 "A Reminder"

Read 2 Peter 1:12-21.

"So I will always remind you of these things even though you know them and are firmly established in the truth you now have." NIV

I was recently talking with a friend about how little believers study their Bible's. Then I was reading about research done by a large mid-western church and they confirmed in their studies that the percentages are not very high. Why is that? Time. Difficult language and cultural references? Do not see the relevancy? Act of duty instead of an act of love?

Many factors could influence why believers are not studying the Word, but the fact remains that no matter what stage in our Christian walk we are, we will never know enough of the Word and the things the Father wants us to learn. We need to be constantly reminded of the Truths that will prepare us to face difficulties and victories, guide us in our relationships, help us to resist temptation, and so on. And it will never end. In fact, the more I study the Word, the less I feel I really know about my God. In the depths of His Word He becomes vaster and vaster (Yes, I made a new word. Did you understand my meaning? Then it works. :) 

I can't just be reading about the prophesies or looking through the life of Jesus and walk away and say, "Well, that's that. I've read it." We must constantly come back to it again and again to learn new Truths that the Holy Spirit wants to reveal. Maybe we are going through something that the Word can address. More often than not the Lord reveals Scripture to me that prepares me for something that is about to happen. Then when I go through that whatever event, I know immediately what He was trying to teach me and I am prepared to scripturally face anything. I may have read that passage before, but by studying it again, the Word became active in my life right now where I am at.

The Word of God never becomes stale. It is alive and active -- changing, directing, molding us into the people God has called us to be. "... and you will do well to pay attention to it, as to a light shining in a dark place." Thank You, Father, for Your Word. May I never become dulled to its meanings or complacent with the study of it. I cherish what you have to say to me.

Further Thoughts:
  1. Is the Word difficult for you to get into? Here's some possible reasons why: 1)You have received Jesus as your Savior, but have not completely surrendered to Jesus as the Lord of your life so His words do not carry a relevancy to your life. Full surrender is the beginning of a desire to know Him more. 2) You need an easier translation to read.  3) You need study helps.  4) You don't allow time to reflect on what you have read and make application to your life. 5) You need an accountability partner to help you develop good habits of study and reflection on the Word.     These are just some possibilities. But you can ask the Lord to reveal to you your particular reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment