"For in him all things were created...." NIV
In this passage, God the Father, God the Son, and God the Spirit get all jumbled together as they should be. They are all parts of one being. And we can in this way see all the facets of God.
Creator: Christ has always been (He is before all things) but He is also the firstborn over all creation as the Son of God, the Father. They all created all things -- visible and invisible in the heavens and on earth. He is the glue that keeps everything together, and all of it was made for God's pleasure.
Chief Priest: Christ is the head of the church. He is the first to overcome sin and death without experiencing a second death. He conquered death forever. In Christ reigns all the power and majesty of God and through that power offering the sacrifice that He did, we are reconciled to God, and Christ is the head of the body of believers.
God reigns in the fullness and completeness of the Trinity -- always has and always will.
- How do we know Christ and the Holy Spirit existed at creation? Support with Scripture.
- What sort of things is vs 16 referring to when it says, "visible and invisible?"
- How should verse 16 affect our attitude toward people placed in authority over us?
- In the King James Version, verse 18 uses "preeminence" instead of "supremacy." What is the original Greek for "preeminence?" How should that affect how we view Christ?
- Spend time today giving thanks for the amazing God we serve -- His vastness, authority, and power. Then ask Him to be "big" in your life.