Friday, July 31, 2009

Hebrews 3:7-19 "No Hard Hearts"

Read Hebrews 3:7-19.

"Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts as you did in the rebellion." NIV
I'm thinking if a sentence is given twice within 12 verses, we need to pay attention to what it says. The Hebrew people failed to do it, and paid dearly for their arrogance. They never saw the promised land. And yet, today so many people are still committing the same horrendous mistake -- choosing their own way over God's.

"Today" .....Yesterday is done. If you ignored His voice yesterday, ask forgiveness and move forward. Tomorrow isn't here yet. Don't worry about it. Today is the time to open your ears to the Lord's voice and obey. It may be something small or something life-changing -- but anytime He speaks, it's important. We can't simply ignore the voice of the Almighty God. My goodness, what arrogance! That's exactly what got the Israelites into trouble. Where did we become so self-sufficient as to think we know better than God? The audacity blows my mind and must make God very angry. Which makes me wonder.....how many blessings have we missed out on because of our disobedient moments? If the Israelites, who traveled through the desert for forty years in the end miss out on the Promise Land, then I must be missing out on something when I disobey. We serve a just God and sin does not go unpunished.

"do not harden your hearts as you did in the rebellion" -- Lord, forgive me for those times I have harden my heart against You. Holy Spirit, protect me from those desires. I never want to be rebellious against my Lord. You alone are the great I AM; I am not.

Further Thoughts:
  1. Are you listening to the Lord every day? If no, why not?
  2. If yes, what is He saying to you? Are you following His directions or living in rebellion?
  3. Why do we choose rebellion?
  4. How do we break the cycle? What heart change has to happen?
  5. How do we stay committed to God?

No comments:

Post a Comment