Thursday, March 24, 2011

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 Thankful in the rain

I'm breaking out of my usual blogging pattern today because, well, it's Thursday, and it's very wet and windy outside. And as I sit here and listen to "Hurricane Helga" pound on my windows and my patio furniture, I could easily slip into a funk and get nothing done or roll over and take a nap. Rainy days -- especially several in a row -- can really get me down.

But I'm not going to do that. And here's why. My circumstances (or the weather) are not going to dictate my attitude or state of mind. (Yes, I'm stubborn that way.) So I'm going to flip the coin over and see what is on the other side.

Thankfulness:

I'm thankful for the rain because we in Northern California need the rain, those in the mountains need the snow for skiing and for the Spring melt. Southern California needs us to get rain so we can supply them through the summer months. And my roses love it.

I'm thankful for my home. God has blessed us beyond anything we deserve with a home that keeps us warm and dry. And for my metal patio cover that allows me to hear the rain as a soothing ping, ping ping.

I'm thankful for my family because in bad weather and in good, they love me through it all.

I'm thankful for friends to share a cup of coffee with, or an email, or a text message. No matter what storms are brewing, we're connected.

I'm thankful for my vehicle so I don't have to walk out in the rainy cold to do what I need to do today. And I don't need to pump gasoline.

I'm thankful for a full pantry on multiple levels, but especially so I don't have to lug groceries through the rain today.

I'm thankful for the rain knocking the blossoms off the fruitless pear trees and thus shortening my horrible allergies.

I'm thankful for my nephew, Austin. (Because today is his 18th birthday;)

I'm thankful for rainbows, and the promise that comes with them.


Even when the rain pours and the wind howls, I can still be thankful because I know that up above the dismal gray clouds, the sun is shining. And someday very soon, I'll see the sun again.... And then I'll need to remember to be thankful for the sun.
Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.
~1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
Further Thoughts:
  1. What are you thankful for today?
  2. What do you need to do to remind yourself to be thankful in difficult situations?
  3. Have you been a friend to someone today? Remember, it may be raining where they live, and they need to hear your words of encouragement.
Dear Father, the weather or my life may not always be sunshiny and cloudless, but I know you see me in the rain and will not let it overtake me. Thank You for your blessings and love so abundant in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment