Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Judges 6:11-24 "I'm Not Capable"

"But Lord," Gideon asked, "how can I save Israel? My clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my family." ~Judges 6:15 NIV
Recently, I was watching an episode of Extreme Makeover Home Edition (ABC). They told the story of a young girl who had a terrible disease. (Let's call her Annie.) While she was in the hospital, she made friends with another little girl who was battling cancer. (We'll call her, Liz.) Annie felt so badly for Liz and what she was going through, she decided to do something about it. This little girl went out and started raising money for cancer research. Annie raised hundreds of dollars and remained friends with Liz. Even years later when the show went in to build Annie a new house, she was in the middle of a project making key chains to sell for cancer research.

How many times when God calls us to do something do we say, "I can't." "I'm not trained." "I don't have enough money." "I'm too young." "I'm from the weakest tribe and am the least in my family." Gideon had given up before he even began, and here's why. He started from the lie that so many people get caught up in -- God only uses the strong and the capable. Actually, it's quite the opposite.

Look at how many times God uses the weakest of the weak -- some real weaknesses and some perceived. Moses (speech impedement), Joseph (second from the youngest of 12 and made a slave in a foreign country), David (a boy facing a giant), Ruth (a young widow from the wrong family), Rahab (a prostitute), Peter, James and John (fishermen that changed the world). You see, although God wants us to develop our gifts and talents, go to school, train up in our positions, He also wants us to understand that the real power comes from him alone. All we must do is be willing to let Him work through us. There is nothing God can't do with a person possessing a willing spirit. Slaves can be freed; nations fed, and giants defeated. Gideon was just another person falling into the trap of self deprecation believing that God can only use the strong. But he was wrong and God changed the history of the Israelites through Gideon.

What are you facing that God has asked you to do, and yet you feel unworthy to do it? Me? I'm in the middle of writing a manuscript. The deadline is looming, and I'm really not sure I have anything to say that anyone would want to read. And truthfully, I'm right. But God has something to say. If I am open to Him and willing to let Him use me, great things can come out of this book. In our weakness, He is made strong.

Further Thoughts:
  1. What is God calling you to do in which you feel completely incapable of doing?
  2. What specifically do you need from God to make it happen? List the ones you know and trust Him for the ones you don't know you need.
  3. What are you doing right now in your own strength?
  4. What lies have you been believing?
  5. How do we practically allow God to work through us?

Father, forgive me for trying to work your miracles for You. Of course, I failed. Use me, Lord. Give me Your strength, Your creativity, Your words. You know what you want to accomplish through me. I trust You to do it. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment