Monday, April 28, 2008

Ephesians 1:4

"For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight...." NIV

Before the world began, He chose me to be holy, that is, set apart, not of this world, making a difference, choosing to follow good, not evil. Purity. Yet the world works so hard to pull me in. I must be diligent in guarding my heart, protecting my eyes and ears from being filled with notions that will kill holiness.

He also chose me to be blameless. That was His doing on the cross. I just had to surrender and accept His gift of blamelessness. Remaining holy, then, is resisting the temptation to retract my surrender. I am a slave to Christ. Sometimes I wish He'd take away my free will on that one because I know that surrender to Him is the best way even though I'm tempted otherwise. I want Him to have me completely -- mind, body, and soul. Lord, keep me strong. Holy Spirit, guide me to make the right choices to remain holy and blameless in Your sight.

Further thoughts:
1. What is complete surrender? (Compare Jonah's surrender to Isaiah's.) Where does it come from, love, fear, need?
2. Am I surrendering my choices every day out of love for Him? (Read Romans 12)
3. What habits or patterns do I need to change to keep myself away from temptation?

No comments:

Post a Comment