Friday, May 9, 2008

Ephesians 1:19-23

"...and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is like the working of his mighty strength, which he exerted in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms, far above all rule and authority, power and dominion, and every title that can be given, not only in the present age but also in the one to come. And God placed all things under his feet and appointed him to be head over everything for the church, which is his body, the fullness of him who fills everything in every way." NIV


Look at that first line....."his incomparably great power for us who believe." That is an amazing gift and how often do I not even believe that God would give me of His power. At least my actions and attitudes don't show it. Then to make the incredulity go even deeper, Paul goes on to describe God's power that he showed through Jesus Christ. Just think -- the same power that raised Christ from the dead lives in me. The same power that placed Jesus at God's right hand and gave him authority over all, is at work in and through me. The same power that places Christ as head of the church, gives me, a simple believer, power. The same power that made Christ one "who fills everything in every way," fills my life every day. Do I believe this? If I do, then why am I not living by this power all the time. Am I only going to "tap into it" when I'm on a spiritual high after a great church worship service, or after witnessing a miracle of healing, or after a wonderful prayer time? I should be walking every moment of every day in this power. I should never be living a life of defeat, discouragement, fear, or ineffectiveness. I just need to have my "eyes enlightened" (Eph. 1:18) to remember. The darkness will try to hide this amazing truth from me. Thank you, Lord, for your Word that keeps me focused on Truth. Holy Spirit, guide me to walk in the strength of Christ's power each and every day.

Further Thoughts:

  1. Using a concordance, look up Old Testament instances of God giving His power to man. Some accounts don't use the word "power," but it is clear that God's power is present. (See especially 1 Samuel 16:13; 2 Chronicles 32:7-8; Isaiah 63:11-13, read about Moses, Noah, David, Joseph)
  2. What power did Jesus give the disciples? (Read Luke 9:1-2, Luke 10:18-20, Luke 24:49)
  3. Look up the Scriptures in Acts that speak to the power of the Holy Spirit that lives within us.
  4. How will I live my life differently this week because I am aware of the power Christ gives me through His Spirit?

No comments:

Post a Comment