Friday, June 20, 2008

Ephesians 6:17b "Sword Fight!"

"...and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God." NIV

Now here is where my armor goes on the offense. In fact, this is the only non-defensive piece that He gives us -- His Word. We have a force so powerful right in our hands, and it's a book. It makes me smile. How many people hate to read. Instead they'd rather be working out, playing video games, watching movies, partying, playing sports, building their career. If they'd only read and listen, they'd have the greatest weapon available.

The Word of God can bring down men or build them up. It can defeat nations and heal diseases. The Word of God brought the world into being and will bring it to an end. The enemy cannot stand in it's way; it plows right through him. Nothing can defeat me when I am using the sword of the Spirit. My sword (my tongue) can destroy me, but the sword of the Spirit will give me victory over anything the enemy throws my way. He is a defeated foe.

The Word has already been spoken and the outcome of the war determined. Now I just need to take up my sword to fight the little battles until my Lord comes again. That's why I study His Word and listen for how the Spirit clarifies it to me. That's why I hide His words in my heart -- to be ready for the daily battles. And they will come. The end of the book has been written, but I'm in the middle of the pages fighting away. I don't want to be left weaponless.

Thank You, Lord, for Your sword that fights the battles for me. Your Word is my strength. I cannot stand with anything less.

Further Thoughts:

  1. How did Jesus use the Word of God to defeat Satan? Read Matthew 4:1-11.
  2. In Scripture, what comparisons are made between the tongue and a sword? (See Psalm 64:2-4 and Proverbs 12:18)
  3. Compare and contrast the Greek "word" in this passage with "Word" in John 1:1. Why must we meditate on God's Word to effectively use the sword of the Spirit? (HINT: personal revelation vs universal command)
  4. Read Hebrews 4:12 then take up the Sword of the Spirit and go.

No comments:

Post a Comment