Saturday, July 5, 2008

Matthew 4:18-22 "Follow Me"

Read Matthew 4:18-22.

"'Come, follow me,' Jesus said, 'and I will make you fishers of men." NIV

I am always amazed at how quickly the disciples dropped everything they were doing to follow the Rabbi. I imagine they had heard about Him and this new radical message He was bringing to the Jewish community. They might have been so hungry for a new way that they would have followed any radical that came through. Maybe God had prepared their hearts ahead of time. But they literally dropped their fishing nets, left their families, and followed Jesus. That just amazes me.

I want to be like the disciples. I really want to be so radical that when Jesus calls, I drop everything and go where He tells me to go, do what He tells me to do, and follow the Rabbi. I don't want to be so bogged down in activities, plans, or personal agendas that I don't respond instantly to His calling. I serve a radical Messiah; I must live my life radically prepared to go.

Further Thoughts:
  1. Who from the Old Testament was radically prepared to go when God called. What were they called to do? Make a list or read Hebrews 11. (i.e. Noah: build a boat in the desert)
  2. How is preparation to go when God calls and faith related? What can hinder our faith from allowing us to respond to a call? Support with Scripture.
  3. Is the Lord calling you to follow Him -- maybe to a new job, a new ministry, maybe just to invite your neighbor down the street to church. He's at work around you, will you join Him? Follow the Rabbi.
  4. Go to http://www.followtherabbi.com/ for more on the disciples' culture when they answered the call.

No comments:

Post a Comment