Friday, September 26, 2008

Matthew 14:22-36 "Eyes Only For You"

Read Matthew 14:22-36.

"Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid." NIV

So much in this passage. Notice first of all that Jesus reclaimed the solitude time He had lost when the crowds appeared in verse 13. There are times in life that people really need us and our solitude may be delayed. But later, we can come back to it.

Then, He goes and walks on water. You've just got to love Peter here. No matter the final outcome, he was the only one who got out of the boat. He believed enough. I'm just in awe of his courage. But like most of us, when the difficulties come, the wind whips up and the waves crash, we look at the obstacles instead of at Jesus, and we go down crying for help. Hasn't that consistently been the pattern. The Hebrew children did it for years in the desert after leaving Egypt. Over and over again - walk in faith, take eyes off of God and onto the trouble, drowning, cry to God for help. And we are still doing it the same way. I want some spiritual glue that forces my eyes to remain fixed on Jesus. I want a tunnel vision to His presence and all the troubles, frustrations, and difficulties around me can't be seen. I may be buffeted by winds and torrents, but with my eyes on Him, I can stand.

Oh God, give me that vision! I'm so tired of sinking among the obstacles. Break this cycle in me. I want my eyes glued only on You for I know that You are my strength and my shield. Amen.

Further Thoughts:

  1. Read Psalm 139 several times. Know that He loves you and is trustworthy.
  2. Here are the complete words to "Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus." Read them, then watch the video.

O soul, are you weary and troubled? No light in the darkness you see? There’s a light for a look at the Savior, And life more abundant and free!

Refrain:
Turn your eyes upon Jesus, Look full in His wonderful face, And the things of earth will grow strangely dim, In the light of His glory and grace.

Through death into life everlasting He passed, and we follow Him there; Over us sin no more hath dominion—For more than conquerors we are!
Refrain

His Word shall not fail you—He promised; Believe Him, and all will be well: Then go to a world that is dying, His perfect salvation to tell!

Turn your eyes upon Jesus, Look full in His wonderful face, And the things of earth will grow strangely dim, In the light of His glory and grace.

Watch this and rest in His presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment