Thursday, October 9, 2008

Matthew 17:14-23 "To Stand"

Read Matthew 17:14-23. For commentary on mustard seed faith, see previous post.

"'O unbelieving and perverse generation,' Jesus replied, 'how long shall I stay with you? How long shall I put up with you?'" NIV

Does God get frustrated with our lack of faith? Does He ever just want to throw in the towel over our puny attempts to believe? Why does He have such patience with our human tendency/sin to doubt?

I remember so many times when my kids were little, I would tell them to trust me. I'd be teaching them how to say a word, and they didn't think that was how it was said. "Trust me, that's how you say that word." Or I'd tell them to jump, and I would catch them. They'd argue that I wouldn't do it. "Trust me; I will not let you fall." My middle child is my most adamant arguer. Sometimes he would continue arguing so long, my patience would run out, and I'd finally say, "You know best." And then let him suffer the consequences of his arrogance.

Thankfully, the Father is so different. Our God is a gentleman. He will not press Himself on us, but wait with extreme patience for our eyes to refocus on Him. Sometimes, He must stand by and watch us suffer the consequences of our doubt. But then the next time, He is faithfully there to catch us if we will only have faith in Him.

I so do not want my Lord to look at me when I stand at the judgment and say, "O unbelieving and perverse generation." Surely, I can find deep within me a small seed of faith that will trust Him no matter what comes my way.

That same middle child asked his father and me last night how we would handle someone threatening our children because of our faith. I pray that we never have to face that situation. But in all I do, small and monumental, I want to possess a faith that will stand.

".... because it is by faith you stand firm." 2 Corinthians 1:24

Further Thoughts:

  1. Do doubts plague you? If yes, why? Do you believe in God or do you believe God?
  2. Read Hebrews 11 again. Many have come before us that needed much more faith than we need.
  3. Is God calling you to take a step of faith? Watch this video clip from "Indiana Jones and the Holy Grail."

No comments:

Post a Comment