Saturday, February 28, 2009

2 Peter 3:1-13 "The Day of the Lord, Part 2"

Read 2 Peter 3:1-13.

"But the day of the Lord will come like a thief." NIV

Peter has been explaining why Christ's second coming seems to be slow. Then he comes out with "But." When that day arrives, at a time no man knows, it will happen "in the twinkling of an eye." Think about that. Even if you are a person who hates surprises, you will love this one. We will just be going about our daily busyness of job, picking kids up at school, making dinner...(see yesterday's post ;-) and then we will be gone. All that will be left is a pile of clothes on the floor. (For you neatnix, someone will pick up the clothes later.) It could happen at any time, any where, when you are with any one. Isn't that absolutely amazing?

I think we forget most of the time that this is coming. Nostradamus and the other prognosticators may think they know when, but they don't. Only the Trinity has that one on the calendar. But we can't be caught unaware. We should remember that he is coming and be ready. There isn't going to be a second chance moment. Yes, after the tribulation, Christ will come again for judgement and if you have received Him during that time, you are redeemed. But I don't want to miss the Great Disappearance. (Plus the thought of going through all the seven woes and seven bowls stuff is terrifying.) I always love being in on the beginning of something and watching it unfold to completion, so I want to fly with Him on the clouds. But I have to keep reminding myself it's coming. Be on my toes and ready. There are certain times I just hope He doesn't come. No, not because He might catch me in a sin. Not that I don't ever sin, but I certainly don't plan on it. I was thinking more on the lines of being caught in the bathroom or while brushing my teeth. ("Wait, I need to spit!")

The point is to not forget that there is an end in sight. Maybe not in our sight, but in His. And He's chosen the perfect time. Are you ready? Have you received Jesus as your Lord and Savior? He's waiting for you. He could come tomorrow, fifty years from now, a hundred years. Or it could be ... NOW!

Further Thoughts:
  1. I'm not sure I will ever have the gumption to attack Revelation on this blog. We'll see. But in the meantime, go to Revelation and read about what is to happen at the end of days. Find passages in the gospels, as well, where Jesus talks about His second coming. (To begin with, see Matthew 24:36-44.)
  2. Do you ever think about the urgency of evangelism based on the fact that Christ could come any day? Is there someone you've held off telling about Jesus? Don't leave that opportunity behind. 
  3. I was reading recently (or maybe it was in my blog. Can't remember.) about if God speaks, we need to act immediately. There's no waiting around and seeing if He says it again like our kids sometimes do when we tell them to do something. We need to act on His command. I know I've suffered some costly consequences for not being immediately obedient. Is the Lord telling you to do something? Time may be short. Do it.
  4. Do you live your life ready for Christ to return? We'll talk more on Monday about how to be ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment