Thursday, April 23, 2009

Colossians 1:3-4 "Remembered"

Read Colossians 1:3-4.

"...we have heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and of the love you have for all the saints...." NIV
"We have heard of your faith" really struck a chord with me. This young church in Colosse had displayed such a faith that Paul had heard about it from the other believers. Faith - believing in what is not seen; living out that belief through their actions of love, and sharing their faith with others who hadn't yet heard and believed. That is what Paul had heard about.

I was just this morning wondering what people hear about me. Do they hear about my faith or all the other stuff of life that isn't really that important? Or is my faith so ingrained in the every day activities of life that they are one and the same? Hmmmm. I think I fall short. So why is that? What causes us to fall short of being known for an active, living and breathing faith life?

First, we can get caught in the mundane, but necessary activities of life. Yes, faith can be lived out in everything, but do we remember to do that? Helping a person cross the street, checking on a sick neighbor, asking someone how they are doing and really listening to the answer -- unspoken, as well as, spoken. These are all ways that we can bring our faith into the routine part of life. Now, if I can just find a country where I didn't need to shower but once a week, wore no makeup, exercise and clean houses were against the law, and where I needed less than 8 hours of sleep every night. Then I'd have more time for important stuff.

But would I use my time wisely if it was given to me? I know so many people that have done amazing things for Christianity and for the world. They have lived out their faith in ways that I will never be able to touch. I do know I can live wiser with what I have right now -- making better use of the time I have. I want to be remembered for my faith, and when I leave this earth, I want the Father to be able to say that His kingdom was advanced in some minuscule way because I was here.

Lord, keep me focused. Help me to use my time wisely to share my faith with others who so disparately need to know you. Don't let me get bogged down in so much life that Your life is sucked out of me. Keep me on the path You would have me to walk.

Further Thoughts:
What are you going to be known for? Will it be your faith?
Read Hebrews 11 and be reminded of the faith of our ancestors.
How can you use your time more wisely for Christ?

No comments:

Post a Comment