Wednesday, October 28, 2009

2 Timothy 1:9 "A Way to Make Us Worthy"

…who has saved us and called us to a holy life--not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time…. ~2 Timothy 1:9

We are all sinners. Romans 3:23 says, “For we have all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.” We can choose to be good people, but that will not pay the price for our sins nor will it make us worthy to be in the presence of God. We are only made worthy through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ. Matthew 10:38 says, “…and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me.” Our worth is not by anything we do but by who we choose to be. Just as he called the disciples to follow Him, in the same way Christ is calling us to follow Him with our life.

Surrender of the heart is a very difficult action. We want to guard ourselves from submitting to anyone. Our natural tendency is for self-preservation and self-control. In other words, we want to be our own God. But if we surrender to the Lordship of Jesus Christ and accept the unearned gift He is offering, then and only then will we be worthy to enter into a relationship with the Father. It’s the grace of Jesus Christ and His sacrifice that makes us worthy.

Further Thoughts:

  1. Why did God choose to be in relationship with me?
  2. Am I made worthy to be in His presence? Why or why not?
  3. Am I choosing daily to take up my cross and follow Him? If yes, in what ways? If no, why not?
  4. Relationships take work. Am I willing to become all God wants me to be? If not, what is hindering me?

Father, You did all You needed to do to make me worthy to be in a relationship with You. Now I choose to be the person I need to be. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment