Monday, December 7, 2009

John 16:7-11 "Who is the Holy Spirit?"

But I tell you the truth: It is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Counselor will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. When he comes, he will convict the world of guilt in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment: in regard to sin, because men do not believe in me; in regard to righteousness, because I am going to the Father, where you can see me no longer; and in regard to judgment, because the prince of this world now stands condemned. ~John 16:7-11

The Holy Spirit is first and foremost the third part of the Trinity. The very Spirit of God has always existed just as God the Father and God the Son have. In this passage in John, Jesus is telling us that the Holy Spirit will be our guide and the one to convict us of our sins. Before you even had decided to come to Christ, you knew the Spirit. He is the One who showed you your sin and your need for a Savior. It is the Holy Spirit that draws all men to Himself.

After we receive Christ, it is His Spirit who guides our every step if we will only take the time to listen and obey. Surrendering to the Spirit of God means freedom from the unknown. If I place my life in the hands and direction of the Almighty, I know that I will be walking the very best path for me. All I need to do is listen.

Further Thoughts:

  1. Where do we first see the Spirit introduced in the Scriptures?
  2. List the roles of the Holy Spirit. Support with Scripture.
  3. How do you know when the Spirit of God is speaking to you?

Father, thank You for not leaving us alone but giving us Your Spirit. Continue to guide me and I will listen. Amen.

1 comment: