Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Ephesians 3:16-19 (Part 2)

"I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power throughhis Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge -- that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God." NIV

When I was a child we sang a song, "Deep and wide, deep and wide, there's a fountain flowing deep and wide...." You know, I never really questioned anyone about what that song was about. I don't remember if I knew it was the love of God or if I was just singing a song with fun motions. But what I do know is that I have always had a sense of God's love, but can't imagine having it to the extent these verses speak. This passage seems to be the ultimate goal of all believers -- to know completely the love of Christ and receive the measure of all the fullness of God.

God's love surpasses all love we have ever known on this earth. It is completely selfless in its giving -- reaching every area of my need, not His. When I am confused, He is ready to clear the chaos. When I am lost, He is there. When I need comforting, His arms are around me. How do I know this love that defies all constraints? I simply turn to Him. I don't try to do everything in my own power; I rely on His. I don't try to figure out all my problems with my own reasoning; I look to Him for the answers. I don't plan my next steps; I seek His direction in my life. His love encompasses everything I need. Does He promise me perpetual happiness. No, I live in a fallen world. There will be difficulties and pain. BUT, He does promise me His love and presence. That is all I need.

Lord, thank You for Your love that goes beyond all I can ask or imagine. Thank You for guiding me, providing for me, and loving me more than I could ever love myself. I am so unworthy and You are so merciful.

Further Thoughts:

  1. Can anything separate us from the love of God? (Read Romans 8:35-39)
  2. What have you been trying to do lately in your own power and failing miserably? Honestly surrender those areas to Him. Trust Him. He is waiting patiently.
  3. Read the words of this old hymn, "The Love of God." http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/l/o/loveofgo.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment