Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Matthew 9:35-38 "The Compassionate"

Read Matthew 9:35-38.

“When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.” NIV
There in lies the purpose for ministry – compassion. Serving the Lord and sharing Him with others is not a duty. It is an act of love toward my Lord and compassion on His lost creation. We are called to see people as they really are – broken, hurting, dying a slow eternal death. And our hearts should bleed for their pain and future of torment. If we would just tell them, show them, let them know the Truth that can set them free.

I always struggle with enough compassion. I have always been a strong person raised from strong stock. I tend to expect people to claw their way out, work harder, or ask the Lord for a different direction. Then there’s the old, “You’ve made your bed, so lie in it.” Not filled with much compassion I’m afraid. So my prayer has been for a long time that the Lord show me people as He sees them. But I have to take my life beyond just having spiritual eyes to acting with compassion. By not acting I am grieving the Lord. It’s like seeing a starving man and not giving him any food. Knowledge is worthless without action behind the words.

I can’t be these people’s shepherd, but I can lead them to the Shepherd. I can show them the river that will give them a drink of water so they will never thirst again.

Lord, give me more compassion for Your children. Make me an instrument of Your grace and love.

Further Thoughts:
  1. Look up the Greek for the word "compassion" and read the other Scriptures where you find it used.
  2. Is there someone that the Lord has been prompting you to reach out to? Do they need your compassion, but you just can’t seem to come up with enough? Ask for spiritual eyes and a heart broken for the lost.
  3. Read the words of the prayer of St. Francis of Assisi. It is truly a servant’s prayer for more compassion for a lost and dying world.

No comments:

Post a Comment