Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Romans 5:1-2 "Rejoice!"

Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. ~Romans 5:1-2
When was the last time I really "rejoiced" about the hope of the glory of God? The Merriam-Webster Dictionary says that "rejoice" means: "to feel joy or great delight." That word, rejoice, really jumped off the page at me today. Maybe it's because it is raining and it's hard to feel delight on a dreary day. Maybe it's because I have to move everything out of the bedrooms today for the carpet cleaner coming tomorrow. Or maybe it's because I haven't spent enough time lately reflecting on His amazing gift. We can get so caught up in doing things for Him, doing things for our family, doing things for ourselves, that we don't take the time to meditate on how amazing and BIG a God we serve. Life clutters and that noice mutes the voice of joy that should permeate everything I do.

When I take the time I need in solitude to be still and listen. To pour over His Word and let His guidance wash over my soul. Then I remember the amazing joy I have of a Father who loves me and cares about my every step. Then and only then do I remember that the "hope" does not just mean for now, but for my time with him for eternity. Even death will not be an end, but a return to Him. Charles Spurgeon said, "Death is no longer banishment, it is a return from exile, a going home to the many mansions where the loved ones already dwell." I can rejoice now in my life in exile from my true home because my dear Holy Spirit is always with me. And I can look forward to the day when I shall stand before the throne and meet my Lord face to face. What other response can I have to such hope than to rejoice?

Further Thoughts:
  1. Have you failed to rejoice for a while? Why?
  2. What needs to change in your life so you live in joy again?
  3. Do you let the circumstances of life steal your joy? Why? What does Scripture say about that?
Father, I rejoice in You and You alone today. You are my Rock, my Salvation, and my Hope. There is no one that will ever surpass Your greatness. Thank You for my joy. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment